Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Turkey Day not so 5K


This year for thanksgiving I wanted to so something more that just sit around to eat (we have yet to find an in on any turkey bowls) so I thought running a 5K would be just about right, we could push the kids in the stroller, Mike's knee could handle it, and it would be a great activity that anyone who wanted could join in. I even drummed up some interest from most of Mike's family, whom we would be spending the day with. After researching races in area we all decided on a small race sponsored by a gym in Centerville that had no registration fee ( a definite plus compared to $15-$20 per person for other races). Although the "blizzard of 2010" had hit a couple of days before and temps were in the single digits, a few of us, (Mike, Michelle and Andy, and James and myself) showed up for the big race. Much to our disappointment we arrived to this message.

"The scheduled 5k is cancelled do to predicted -2 degree weather. We are not saying we COULDN'T do it. GPP'rs are tough as he**. Its just not worth the frostbite. The above workout will take its place at 8AM."
Using a 2 decks of cards:

Numbered cards are done for reps as numbered
Face cards are 10 reps
Aces are 15 reps

Hearts = Push-ups
Diamonds = Sit ups
Clubs = Squats
Spades = Burpees

Michelle and Andy in the back corner, the rest of us didn't make the shot.

We reluctanly decided to give it a go. I felt like I was back in middle school PE again, I don't think I have done a "burpee" since then. After 15 minutes of BORING push-ups, sit-ups, squats, and burpees, my arms and legs felt like jello and we weren't even close to being done so we staged a walk out and ran 2 miles in the freezing snow instead. By the end of the day I was so sore, I couldn't even walk up and down stairs, let alone pick-up my chunky almost one-year old. Lesson learned from this event: I need to work out more; If you sign-up for a free event, you get what you pay for. Maybe I will get to do a real turkey trot next year!




2 comments:

Audrey and Jason said...

Wow. That is hilarious. I love the posted sign.

Annie said...

Um...I don't even know what a burpee is. Maybe the point was to get you so sore that you actually trotted like a turkey. :)