Thursday, July 19, 2012

April 2012

As the weather warmed up, we tried to get outside more and enjoy a gorgeous spring. 

We celebrated Easter with the annual Easter Egg hunt at Nana and Papa's.  Although the weather the day of was sunny and warm, a snow storm the previous day left the ground soggy and wet so the hunt was moved indoors.  However, the kids, including a few "big kids", had a snowball fight after the hunt.




Easter Sunday, we had a nice meal with our little family, and invited Jesse and Heather over for our own little egg hunt.  It was a nice low key holiday.



As spring was in full swing, so was the itch to get out and play a little soccer. I decided to put together my own little neighborhood league with  friend (Lauren) instead of signing Dennison up for the city league.  We invited several 3-5 year olds to come once a week, to "practice" and play a short game.  We general had anywhere from 9-12 participants and in my a opinion it was a great success.  We saw lots of improvement over 7 weeks, and for the most part the kids had a great time.  If you are ever looking for some great ideas of appropriate skills and drills for this age group, I found a great resource  here.





Of course as soon as the sun starts shining, the summer marketing blitz hits all the stores and one day while I was out, there was a great deal on a slip n' slide so I picked one up, intending to use it as the weather warmed up.  Samuel, of course, could not wait, and we had to break it out as soon as we got home, even though it was still only in the sixties.  Nevertheless, they both had a blast, shivering and all.



1 comment:

Audrey and Jason said...

I love your idea for more age appropriate soccer. Kids at that age probably enjoy that setup more than the typical leagues. I will have to investigate more as my kids come closer to that age of organized sports. I am hesitant but this seems more encouraging to me. Way to go for initiating it!